A big part of the new Golden 1 Center is how all the food is local. Officials with the arena says 90 percent of the food comes from within a 150 mile radius of Sacramento.

But did you know leftovers are sent back out to the area? It's part California Safe Soil's "fork-to-farm" idea. Basically, whatever is left after your fork goes back to the farm.

Daniel Morash, the co-founder of the company, said they're trying to give food a second life.

The edible food leftover from the arena goes to local food banks. Inedible parts like the core of a lettuce head or extra pizza dough will go to California Safe Soil's facility in McClellan Park.

You would think food waste would stink up the area, but surprisingly, you really can't smell much and that's why the concept works. All the food waste is properly handled and kept refrigerated in insulate totes. This method allowed the company to operate in an urban area, unlike most landfills for foodwastes, which are often in the middle of nowhere. Being close to all the food waste means saving money and saving gas, which means less pollution, something the Sacramento Kings have been all about.

"Kings are a great partner. The idea they have is elegant but simple," Morash said.

Morash and his brother, who is the company's co-founder, came out from New Jersey in 2011 to launch this idea. They chose Sacramento because it was the farm-to-fork capital and they wanted to make it in the city. Through a partnership with UC Davis, they started ther pilot program in West Sacramento. The McClellan location is their first commercial-scale facility.

90 percent of the food waste is turned into a liquid fertilizer called Harvest-to-Harvest. It goes to farms around California. The other 10 percent of the food that is solid is used to create pig feed, which Morash calls "hog heaven."

Morash described his company as a modern science approach to an old farming practice.