At least 200 families at a Placer County mobile home park have been without gas for a week, a Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) spokesperson said.
On Nov. 16, state codes and standards inspectors were notified of a “major gas leak” at the Castle City Mobile Home Park in Newcastle, an state administrator said. The mobile home park is a senior only living community, according to the Affordable Mobile Home Sales website.
Natural gas to at least 200 mobile homes was shut off at the park for safety concerns and repairs, PG&E spokesman Paul Moreno said.
Residents living at the park said they have not had access to hot water or gas powered central heating since Nov. 15. Residents are using electric space heaters to stay warm. Park management is also offering to pay for hotels for tenants, resident’s said.
The gas lines are owned by the mobile home park and the property owners are responsible for repairing them, Moreno said.
“Even if we wanted to, we couldn’t turn the gas back on,” Moreno said.
Eric Jackson is a Codes and Standards Administrator with the California Department of Housing and Community Development – Which regulates plumbing, gas, electric and construction projects at mobile home parks.
“It’s typically uncommon but it does happen,” Jackson said.
As of November 22, mobile home park hired contractors are still working to fix multiple gas leaks at the park, Jackson said.
Repairs are expected to be completed by Wednesday, Jackson said. A state employee is on standby to inspect the gas lines once the repairs are complete.
Castle Park Mobile Home management refused to comment and referred all questioning to corporate offices. A Tuesday phone call to corporate was not immediately returned.
Copyright 2016 KXTV