Family of woman hospitalized after eating gas station nacho cheese staying hopeful

A family of a woman who got botulism from nacho cheese from a gas station is hopeful.

Lavinia Kelly is one of ten people hospitalized after contracting botulism, a rare food poisoning, a few weeks ago after eating nacho cheese.

Officials say it happened at Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station in Walnut Grove.
 
Kelly's mom said her daughter is having trouble speaking and is only able to move her lips. She is starting to open her eyes.
 
"We thought we were gonna lose her," said Dawn Kelly, Lavinia's mother. "Her body shut down like everything."
 
Her three children were in the hospital Wednesday for her 33rd birthday. She's been recovering at Sutter Medical Center for about a month.
 
"She's starting to get more strength in her," said Ricardo Torres, partner. "She's really driven and wants to get better." 
 
Her family doesn't know when she will be able to get out of the hospital.
 
"Missing my best friend, my love," Torres said. "My kids need their mother back."
 
Her family said the doctors say she will take a year to recover.
 

© 2017 KXTV-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment