The King Fire burning in El Dorado and Placer counties remained at 87,592 acres Monday evening, the same acreage as in the morning, according to Cal Fire..
Cal Fire said the fire was 18 percent contained, up one percent from Sunday.
"This evening's anticipated spread is expected to be minimal. The higher humidity will moderate the fire behavior," Cal Fire's King Fire incident page said.
Several schools in Placer County were closed Monday due to poor air quality: Colfax Elementary, Colfax High School, Foresthill Elementary, Foresthill High School, Sierra Hills School and Weimar Hills School. It wasn't clear Monday evening if a similar decision would be made regarding Tuesday classes.
According to the multi-fire agency Incident Information System website, the King Fire began Sept. 13 on Forebay Road near Pollock Pines, about 60 miles northeast of Sacramento. Wayne Allen Huntsman, 37, of Pollock Pines, was arrested Sept. 17 on suspicion of arson in connection with the blaze. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Sept. 19. Huntsman is being held in El Dorado County Jail on $10 million bail, according to the jail's website.
Cal Fire said 10 residences and 22 outbuildings were destroyed by the wildfire. The agency reported 12,000 homes and 9,000 minor structures are still threatened. According to the U.S. Forest Service, 2,819 people have been evacuated from the area where the wildfire is burning.
There are 6,924 personnel assigned to the fire, including 470 engines, 141 fire crews, 20 helicopters, 78 dozers, 57 water tenders and five management teams.
Mandatory evacuations remained in place for:
- Forebay area - Forebay Road (north of Moon Lane), Homestead
- White Meadows area - Brockliss Canyon Road, Elk Ranch Road, Peavine Ridge Road (1 mile north of White Meadows), Spring Valley Road, White Meadows Road
- Mosquito, Swansboro Areas - Mosquito Road – north of the American River, Rock Creek Road – east of Rock Creek, Mosquito Cutoff Road, Adams Lane, Amber Way, Buckboard Road, Buckeye Court, Cable View Court, Cedar Court, Claim Court, Claim Lane, Claim Street, Claim Terrace, Corder Court, Darr Court, Deer Canyon Court, Deer Park Drive, Dickinson Road, Dogwood Lane, Dyer Court, Dyer Way, Gold Court, Gold Trail, Gold Rock Road, Gravel Court, Gravel Road, Highgrade Street, Holiday Lane, Immerville Drive, Indian Way, Junco Court, La Paz Road, Lawyer Drive, Log Cabin Court, Log Cabin Lane, Long Gulch Court, Lupine Court, Lupine Lane, Maidu Drive, McGuire Court, Morton Court, Normas Road, Orval Beckett Court, Pawdick Court, Peycos Drive, Pine Cone Court, Pine Needle Lane, Poke Court, Ponderosa Grove Drive, Rex Court, Riffle Court,Running Quail Court, Shale Drive, Shilo Drive, Slab Creek Court, Sluice Street, Stope Court, Stope Drive, Story Lane, Swansboro Road, Trail Gulch Road, Triple R Road, Tumeli Lane, Webb Fork Road, Wildflower Court, White Oak Drive, Yankee John Court, 1 Eye Creek Court, 1 Eye Creek Road
- Volcanoville, Quintette, Blodgett, Upper Ice House Areas - Bear Foot Road, Bear State Road, Bird Nest Lane, Blodgett Forest Road, Bojac Court, Bootjack Mine Road, Carey Ave, Cassill Mine Road, Cecil Lane, Cedar Cable Road, Chiquita Bypass, Christmas Tree Lane, Country Road, Ditch Camp Road, Dry Lakes Trail, Dusty Camp Road, East Carey Avenue, El Bosque, Garden Tower Lane, Harmony Lane, Haven Ridge Road, Helix Flat Avenue, Horse Power Drive, Kentucky Flat Road, Little Silver Road, Lodgepole Lane, Lofty Peak Lane, Logging Road, Loop Cutoff Road, Loop Road, Merkel Drive, Middle Loop Road, Midway Loop Road, Narrow Way, Onion Valley Road, Otter Creek Road, Paymaster Mine Road, Peavine Point Road, Piolet Creek Road, Plum Creek Road, Point Lane, Quintette Court, Ringtail Place, Ringtail Road, Robs Cabin Trail, Rock Creek Road (one mile south from Wentworth Springs), Rubicon Road, Sand Mountain Boulevard, Shotgun Lane, Sleigh Bell, Snowy Way, South Creek Road, South Fork Trail, Spring Tunnel Mine Road, Star Lane Thumper Lane, Stickerbrush Trail, Sunset Peak Lane, Tall Timber Road, Tinsel Trail, Tricometric Trail, Trinity Trail, Tunnel Hill Loop Road, Tunnel Hill Loop, Tunnel HIll Road, Un Road, Volcanoville Road, Wentworth Springs Road (east of Balderston Road), West Carey Court, White Fir Road, Winter Springs, Wild Horse Trail, Woodpecker Road, Yuletide Way, 11 Pines Road, 12 Mile Court, 12 Mile Road
- Crystal Basin, Icehouse, Upper Wentworth Springs Areas – Big Hill Lookout Road, Big Hill Road, Blodgett Forest Road, Bridle Path Way, Forest Road, Frontier Road, Granite Springs, Helix Flat Ave, Ice House Road, Jones Fork Power House Road, Middle Loop Road, Mosquito Road, Onion Valley Road, Outer Limits Lane, Little Silver Road, Loop Road, Peavine Point Road, Peavine Ridge Road, Pickett Pen Road, Piolet Creek Road, Plum Creek Road, Robb's Peak Road, Rubicon Trail, Sand Mountain Road, SMUDEA, Spring Road, Sunset Drive, Tricometric Trail, Wentworth Springs (east of Balderston Road), Windmiller Trail, Wrights Lake Road,11 Pines Road. Including all Forest Service roads, trails, and access roads in the Crystal Basin recreation area between Ice House Road and Desolation Wilderness, north of the Highway 50 corridor.
An evacuation center has been set up at the Camino Seventh-day Adventist Church at 3520 Carson Road, Camino, 95709.
About 100 people were allowed back in the Pollock Pines area Saturday night.
How you can help:
The American Red Cross is collecting donations to help residents directly impacted by the King Fire. You can donate online at RedCross.org or you can mail or drop off donations at 1565 Exposition Boulevard., Sacramento, 95818.