Shots fired at luxury condominiums in downtown Reno, gunman dead

Shots fired from downtown Reno apartment, gunman dead (November 28, 2017)

RENO, Nevada (AP) - Police in Reno, Nevada, say a gunman who fired shots from high-rise condos to the street below is dead.
    
Deputy Chief Tom Robinson told reporters Tuesday night that the man had died after a SWAT team went to the 8th floor of the Montage and engaged him. It wasn't immediately clear whether he was killed by police gunfire or his own.
    
Robinson says the man had a hostage and was firing from a condo in the building down to the street below, but neither the hostage nor anyone else was hurt.
    
The luxury high-rise is surrounded by some of downtown Reno's most popular casinos, but the streets were mostly empty when the man was firing.
     
Trooper Chris Kelley of the Nevada Highway Patrol tells the Reno Gazette-Journal that shots were heard from the building for at least 20 minutes.
    
The shots were coming from the Montage, a building in downtown Reno where SWAT teams and news vans have gathered. TV news reporters say they heard several shots fired since arriving.

The Las Vegas gunman who killed 58 people in October had previously owned a unit at the Reno high-rise condominium.
    
Stephen Paddock owned a unit at the Montage but records show he sold the property in December 2016.
    
On Oct. 1, Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino onto an outdoor concert below.
    
The building is surrounded by some of the city's better known casinos and was once a casino itself before it was converted into luxury condos, according to its website.

© 2017 Associated Press


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment