Suspect dead in Fairfield officer-involved shooting

FAIRFIELD, CA - Fairfield police identified a local man shot by officers after a pursuit and disturbance call Tuesday morning.

Deonte Traylor, 24, died at an area hospital late Tuesday afternoon.

According to police Sgt. Matt Bloesch, police were dispatched to an apartment complex on the 200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue at 9:34 a.m. on a disturbance call.

There they found that a woman, who neighbors identified as Sophia Marshall,had been repeatedly stabbed. A search for her attacker began.

Bloesch said the alleged assailant was located in a nearby neighborhood and had a knife.

Efforts by pursuing officersto take the man into custody using non-lethal force were unsuccessful, Bloesch said, and the man tried to use the knife on officers. Fearing for their safety, officers shot the man.

It was reported earlier that the man's injuries were not believed to be life-threatening but the victim at the apartment complex was described as having life-threatening injuries. Both were transported to trauma centers.

No officers were injured.

As of late Tuesday afternoon,the womanwas in critical condition with more than 30 stab wounds, Bloesch said. She and Traylor had been in a past relationship, investigators learned.

Bloesch said Traylor was on parole for robbery and had a lengthy criminal history.

The pursuit and police shooting ended on Highway 12. The highway was closed for the investigation between Pennsylvania Avenue and Beck Avenue for more than six hours.

Tuesday evening, relatives and friends held a vigil for Traylor at the apartment complex where the brutal stabbing attack happened. Traylor's grandmother Jann Smith said Traylor spent the pastfive years in prison and was currently living with his uncle.

"He just got outsix months ago. He was having a hard time," Smith said.

Loved ones don't know what could have led Traylor to allegedly attack Marshall. They said Marshall had dropped off their 3-year-old son at preschool and returned home before she was assaulted.

"I never thought he'd do anything like that," Smith said.

Friends and family said they didn't know of any domestic violence issues between Traylor and Marshall, even though court records show that the stabbing suspect was involved in "a domestic violence case with kids." That case was filed in March 2012 by Marshall and later dismissed.

By Tuesday night, many people gathered to grieve Traylor's death.

"It breaks my heart. I'm so sad about Deonte dying,"Smith said.

Many of those who turned out also prayed for Traylor's girlfriend, hoping she'd make a full recovery.

"We're hoping and praying she'll make it," Smith said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment