SACRAMENTO - Some residents evacuated due to a wildfire burning in El Dorado and Amador counties were allowed back home Monday.
In a release issued Monday morning, Cal Fire lifted all evacuation warnings for the area of Outingdale community as of 10 a.m. and all homes east of Mt. Aukum Road would be open for residents to return.
Evacuated Outingdale residents got the OK to return home Monday. That included livestock and horses that were sheltered at the El Dorado County Fairgrounds because of the fire. News10/KXTV
Cal Fire advised returning residents would possibly be required to show identification and proof of residency to be allowed back to their properties.
The Red Cross shelter for evacuees at Ponderosa High School in Shingle Springs remains open.
As early Monday evening, the Sand Fire burned 3,800 acres and was 75 percent contained, according to Cal Fire.
Fire crews increased containment overnight and with these recent gains, the projected control date has been updated to Aug. 1.
Assessment teams identified 13 homes and 38 outbuildings that have been destroyed by the Sand Fire.
Road closures were still in effect at Sand Ridge Road from Highway 49 to Bucks Bar Road; (E16) Mt .Aukum Road to Bucks Bar Road; and Fairplay Road to (E16) Bell Road. according to Cal Fire.
Refresh this story for more information and follow News10 on Twitter for live updates.
UPDATE at 4:10 p.m.: As of 5 p.m. Monday, Cal Fire reduced the evacuation orders for Sand Ridge Road and all roads connecting to it to an Evacuation Warning with the exception of Freshwater Road south of Vintage Trail which remains under an Evacuation Order.
The following areas remain under an Evacuation Order:
- Flat Creek Road
- Brinkwood Road
- Painted Pony Road
- Higgins Road
- Twin Rivers Road and all connecting roads
Traffic Control Points remain at the following locations:
- Freshwater Road at Vintage Trail
- Sand Ridge Road at Deerhaven
- E16 at Lone Barn
- E16 at Brinkwood
- Flat Creek at Bertone
UPDATE at 1:45 p.m: The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office released a list of current road closures. From the office's website:
- The closure at E16 (Mt. Aukum Road) and Fairplay Road is moved south to Lone Barn Road (near D'Agostini pond).
- The closure at E16 and the county Llne has been moved to E16 and Brinkwood Road.
- To prevent the use of back roads to circumnavigate the closure, a traffic unit is assigned to Flat Creek Road at Bertone Road.
- Sand Ridge Road at Highway 49 is closed.The closure at Sand Ridge Road and Bucks Bar Road has been moved closer to Sand Ridge Road and Deerhaven Road (near the end of the paved road). The road is open from Bucks Bar Road to this closure on Sand Ridge Road.
UPDATE at 12:19 p.m: Evacuation Orders have been reduced or canceled in several areas per Cal Fire:
- Evacuation status reduced to Evacuation Warning: Amador County: Highway 49/Bell Road, Courier Road, Shenandoah Road and Upton Road.
- El Dorado County: All of Upton Road., Jaybird, D'Agnostini, Bertone, Squirrel Hollow, and Rabbit Ridge.
- Evacuation Order cancelled: El Dorado County: Deer Haven/Sand Ridge east to Somerset, Buzzard's Gulch, Van Pooka, and La Mesa. All areas/roads east of E16 (Mt. Aukum) between Coyote Junction to Gray's Corner.
- Evacuation Warning cancelled: El Dorado County: San Ridge Road/Morning Canyon to Gorge View to Horseshoe Bend to Gray's Corner to E16 (Mt. Aukum Road) to Buck's Bar/Sand Ridge Road.
At 10 Monday morning, all evacuations warnings for the area of Outingdale community were rescinded. Residents of homes east of E16 (Mt. Aukum Road) can return.