RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif — Tari Lawson is the ABC10 Teacher of the Month for March 2020.
Lawson is a 2nd-grade special education teacher at Cordova Villa Elementary in Rancho Cordova. We asked her a few questions to really get a better understanding of how she educates and inspires her students.
How long have you been teaching?
I've been teaching since the fall of 2011.
Who was your favorite teacher growing up?
There were so many, but one that comes to mind was Sister Georgianna -- the first teacher who really taught us about science!
What’s your favorite student success story?
The best part of my job is giving a voice to a student who cannot communicate in a traditional manner.
What advice do you have for the future teachers of America?
Find your "why." This is not a job you do for the money, so it's important to remember why you chose the profession. That will change as you grow and learn, so continue to be a student. Also, visit other classrooms, ask questions, find mentors, look for your successes, and know it's OK to fail.
What advice do you have for parents?
- Read books every day -- with/to your child and to yourself!
- Turn technology off and go outside.
- Children will do the things they see you do, so do only things you would be proud to see them doing.
More education content from ABC10:
- Modesto Junior College lands $700,000 to help homeless students
- ‘I love being a mentor’ | After tragedy, a firefighter quit to lead students
- Proposition 13: School bonds usually are a cinch in California — what happened this time?
FOR NEWS IN YOUR COMMUNITY, DOWNLOAD THE ABC10 APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for ABC10's Daily Blend Newsletter