A Monday afternoon fire in Orangevale prompted Sacramento Metro Fire officials to issue an important reminder for residents who use heating lamps.

Responding to 3 p.m. reports of heavy smoke coming from inside a garage, fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, revealing the source of it to be a heating lamp used for incubating baby chickens.

While crews were able to contain the fire primarily to the garage, saving much of the home, they were unable to save the six chicks that were inside the garage being warmed by the heating lamps.

A Monday afternoon fire in Orangevale prompted Sacramento Metro Fire officials to issue an important reminder for residents who use heating lamps. Photo: Sacramento Metro Fire
A Monday afternoon fire in Orangevale prompted Sacramento Metro Fire officials to issue an important reminder for residents who use heating lamps. Photo: Sacramento Metro Fire

“Today’s fire tragically demonstrates how heat lamps can start a fire if knocked over or when placed too close to anything combustible,” officials wrote. “Make sure to secure heat lamps so they cannot be knocked over, and always have a smoke alarm in rooms where heat lamps are in use.”

Fire crews report there were no other injuries reported related to the fire.