SACRAMENTO, Calif. — According to New Food Economy, parents spend over $50,000 feeding their teenagers. Research also shows kids are more likely to gain weight during the summer because unstructured vacation months allow for sleeping in and welcome potentially unlimited access to unhealthy snacks.
How can you save money feeding those hungry teenagers? Brittany has some suggestions:
1. Apple Cookies:
- 1 apple slices
- 1 teaspoon of peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon of granola
- Spread peanut butter on apple and top with granola
2. Skinny Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 Chips Ahoy Thins
- 1 Tablespoon of skinny ice cream
- Put ice cream on the bottom cookie and top with the other
3. Fourth of July Dessert:
A day of barbecue eating could amount to a potential total of 2,652 calories!
So, swap apple pie for red, white, blue s'mores!
- One ice cream cone
- Fill with marshmallows, strawberries, and blueberries
- Wrap in aluminum foil and grill for 2 to 3 minutes
Continue the conversation with Brittany Begley on Facebook.