SOUTH WINDSOR-- Fire officials are warning of a dangerous new social media challenge that could cause a fire.

The South Windsor Fire Department took to Facebook to urge parents to talk with their children about the viral  TikTok "Outlet Challenge," which is an extreme fire hazard, they said.

The new challenge encourages teens to place a penny behind a cell phone charger partially inserted in an outlet, touching the penny with the two prongs.

Firefighters say this can cause a spark and potential fire or electrical hazard to the teen and the building.

According to town officials, most of the documented cases are in Massachusetts.

Scorched outlets have been found in Plymouth and Holden and a fire at Westford Academy. A Westford student who participated in the challenge is facing charges, according to the Massachusetts Fire Marshal.

Firefighters responded to Plymouth North High School at about 12:15 p.m. Tuesday afternoon for a report of an electrical outlet that was sparking.

A teacher told firefighters that two students had plugged the charger in and dropped the penny between the outlet and charger causing the outlet to spark and smoke. Photos shared by the Plymouth Fire Department show the penny fused to the charger. No one was injured in the incident.

“The other issue can be that you do damage to some electrical wiring behind the wall and a fire could be undetected and burning in the walls, endangering everyone that’s in the building,” said Plymouth Fire Chief Ed Bradley.

Plymouth Schools Superintendent Dr. Gary Maestas called the incident an “irresponsible act.”

“We are working with the Plymouth Police and Fire Departments to fully understand the scope of this issue and pursue charges to the fullest extent of the law,” Maestas said in a statement.

A video of the challenge can be seen here. Some of the YouTube comments include “I almost caused an electrical fire” and “My son just did this and blew out the power in half the our house.”

Parents are being advised to look for signs of their kids participating in this challenge, and to have a conversation with them about fire and electrical safety.