STOCKTON, Calif — There have been 22 murders in Stockton in the first five months of 2019. There were a total of 33 murders in Stockton for 2018.
After a 34-year-old man was shot and killed May 4 during a vigil for a man killed a week prior, the Stockton Police Department assigned additional patrols in the area in an attempt to prevent further incidents.
“Enough is enough,” said Officer Joe Silva, spokesperson for the Stockton Police Department. “We need to bring some type of relief to this area and the police. We can’t do this alone.”
Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones told ABC10 that the department has reached out for assistance from partnering agencies such as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the California Highway Patrol, and the FBI to curb the increase in murders.
"We need more tips. We know there are individuals in the community out there that know a lot about these cases or at least something," Jones said.
Suspects have been arrested in only four of the murder cases, according to police records.
These are the people and cases that have been killed in Stockton this year:
- Frank Baker Jr., 67, assaulted and killed Jan. 24 in the 300 block of E. Washington Street. A suspect has been arrested in relation to this case.
- Traves Her, 19, shot and killed Feb. 2 in the 2300 block of Sandalwood Drive.
- Advan Vang, 15, shot and killed Feb. 24 in the 7000 block of Montauban Ave. A suspect has been arrested in relation to this case.
- Nicholas Sihalath, 14, shot and killed Feb. 24 in the 7000 block of Montauban Ave. A suspect has been arrested in relation to this case.
- David Connary, 19, Tiffany Connary, 18, and Remillio Castillo,18 were all shot and killed March 22 in the 2300 block of Finland Avenue.
- Arnold Jimenez-Silva, 23, shot and killed March 23 in the 600 block of W. MLK Blvd.
- Ashlie Villegas, 31, shot and killed March 24 in the 3000 block of Volney Street.
- Christopher Perkins Jr., 27, shot and killed April 10 near Albany and Astor Drives.
- Larry Ganner, 66, assaulted and killed April 26 in the 2300 block of E. Washington Street. A suspect has been arrested in relation to this case.
- Alan Cazares, 23, was shot and killed April 26 in the 400 block of Delhi Avenue. A suspect has been arrested in relation to this case.
- Mark Echeverria, 28, shot and killed April 28 near El Dorado Street and Hazelton Avenue.
- Ronald Celestine, 34, shot and killed May 1 in the 5100 block of Holiday Drive.
- Benny Lott, 34 shot and killed May 4 in the 5100 block of Holiday Drive.
- Joshua Moorer, 26, was shot and killed May 18 in the 200 Block of E. Bianchi Road.
- Andrew Molinares, 22, was shot and killed May 21 in the 3000 block of Monte Diablo Avenue.
- Jose Pablo Flores Martinez, 24, was shot and killed May 22 near the intersection of Sierra Nevada Street and Poplar Street.
- Everett Johnson, 45, was shot and killed May 26 in the 8100 block of Palisades Drive.
- Abdul Brown, 16, was shot and killed May 26 in the 600 block of E. Oak Street.
- Robert Renteria, 21, was shot and killed May 28 on Northbound Interstate 5, north of the Charter Way exit. California Highway Patrol is in charge of this case.
- LC Coilton, 35, was shot and killed June 5 in the area of the San Joaquin Street and Sonora Street intersection.
In the wake of the deadly shootings in Stockton, the Neighborhood Impact Team went door-to-door in all three of the affected neighborhoods, to connect with people who live in these areas and to let them know they are not alone.