This blog will be updated throughout the day with the latest COVID-19 news. Click HERE to learn when and where you can sign-up to get the coronavirus vaccine near you.
Californians aged 50-64 rush to get vaccine before expansion
Before California throws open its coronavirus vaccine program to all adults on April 15, there will be a two-week window when millions of people between the ages of 50 and 64 can get their shot.
This age group's rollout, which begins eligibility on April 1, has prompted an uptick in appointment requests. It has also raised concerns about whether two weeks is enough to get to everybody in this age group when there is uncertainty about supply levels and lingering questions about accessibility.
Latest COVID statistics in California
On Saturday, California announced a state total of 3,559,193 confirmed cases of COVID-19.
California also reported 215 new deaths from COVID, bringing the total to 57,551 since the start of the pandemic.
The state reported at least 16,775,843 vaccine doses had been administered to Californians.
FEMA vaccination sites to close as California ramps up shots
The Federal Emergency Management Agency plans to stop operating two mass vaccination sites in California next month, just days before the state makes everyone 16 and older eligible for a shot.
The two sites in Oakland and Los Angeles opened in February for eight-week pilot programs to conclude April 11.
The sites will give out the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the final two weeks to ensure people don't need to schedule a second appointment elsewhere.
State and county officials say they would have liked the program to continue, but it was just a small part of the overall vaccine infrastructure.
Resources guide for California families
- San Joaquin County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Yolo County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Stanislaus County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Sacramento County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Northern California Help: A resource guide for struggling Families and individuals
- Where to find help in Placer County: A resource guide for struggling individuals and families