SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento Zoo reopening to public on Friday
The Sacramento Zoo will reopen to public visitors on Friday now that the region was moved off the state’s stay-at-home order.
Tickets will go on sale at 9 a.m. on Thursday and zoo officials say guests will have to buy their tickets in advance and reserve a time for their visit.
Nevada County sees uptick in coronavirus deaths
Nevada County reported 20 new deaths on Tuesday. Nevada County spokesperson Taylor Wolfe said the majority of the deaths reported occurred in hospitals outside of Nevada County and took some time to be added to the county's death toll. The number of deaths in Nevada County has more than doubled over the past month from 21 deaths reported on Dec. 15 to 70 deaths on Jan. 12.
"This is a sober reminder of the threat of COVID-19 and we keep those we have lost to COVID and their loved ones in our thoughts," Wolfe said.
State releases latest COVID-19 statistics
On Wednesday, the state of California announced the state total of COVID-19 cases is now at 2,781,039. There were also 589 deaths reported Tuesday to Wednesday, bringing the state's death total to 31,102.
State sees hope as one region exits stay-at-home order
California lifted a stay-at-home order for 13 northern counties because of improving hospital conditions while most of the state's population remains under tight restrictions because of the deadly coronavirus surge.
The state on Tuesday lifted a December ban on outdoor dining, hair and nail salons and other services for the Greater Sacramento Region. But three other regions with most of the state's population are still struggling because their intensive care units are packed with COVID-19 patients.
California is averaging 42,000 new cases daily. Officials are trying to ramp up vaccinations to slow the infection rate.
CORONAVIRUS AND VACCINE RESOURCES AND ANSWERS:
- San Joaquin County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Yolo County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Stanislaus County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Sacramento County Help: A Resource Guide for Struggling Families and Individuals
- Q&A: Why wear a mask after you've been vaccinated?
- Can my employer require the COVID-19 vaccine? | Q&A with workers rights attorney
- El Dorado County Help: A resource guide for struggling families and individuals
- Northern California Help: A resource guide for struggling Families and individuals