LOS ANGELES — Officials say divers have resumed a search for the last missing victim who died in a fatal boat fire as authorities continue a criminal investigation into the blaze that killed 34 people off the coast of California.
The search had been halted over the weekend and Monday because of high winds.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told the county's Board of Supervisors that salvage operations to raise the Conception out of the water also restarted Tuesday.
Brown says the victims, 21 women and 13 men, ranged from 16 to 62 years old.
Brown said the preliminary examinations indicate the victims died of smoke inhalation and perished before they were burned.
Authorities are working to identify the victims and release their remains to their families.
As investigators continue to work to determine the cause of boat fire in Southern California, a former captain of the company that owned the Conception explained why he believes most of the crew survived and the passengers did not.