CALIFORNIA, USA — Rain and snow arrive in Northern California, Thursday. A Winter Storm Warning begins Wednesday night and will continue through early Friday.
In the Valley, occasional heavy rain is expected with heavy snow and travel delays expected in the Sierra. A half-inch to an inch of rain in the Valley is expected and more in some spots. As much as 18-24 inches of snow could fall in the Donner Pass area.
Looking ahead, there's another chance of rain and snow this weekend.
Snow in the mountains Thursday will impact commute times as roads will be slick. Drivers on I-80 or US-50 should be prepared for chain controls in the Sierra. Drivers on I-5 and in the Valley should increase the following distance and reduce speeds to account for rain.
Caltrans advises not to travel on I-80 unless absolutely necessary.
- Both directions from Alta to Boca: Chain controls are in effect for all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive or with snow tires on all wheels, according to Caltrans.
- California, Nevada border: Traffic on I-80 and Highway 20 have been reopened. Trucks are being turned around, according to Caltrans.
- Fred's Place to Meyers: Chain controls are in effect for all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive or with snow tires on all wheels, according to Caltrans.
- Traffic is being held on Highway 50 between Echo Summit and Meyers due to multiple spinouts, according to Caltrans. There is no current estimated time of reopening.
- Stockton: The connector ramp from northbound I-5 to eastbound Highway 4 is now open after being closed for bridge rail repair after a jack-knifed big rig accident.
- Redding: Northbound I-5 is closed to all big rigs and vehicles with trailers at Fawndale, about 10 miles north of Redding, according to Caltrans.
Tahoe Truckee Unified School District
All schools in the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District are closed Thursday for a snow day. This includes extracurricular activities.
Pollock Pines Elementary School District
Due to weather and unsafe road conditions, schools in the Pollock Pines Elementary School District are closed Thursday.
Lake Tahoe Unified School District
All schools in the Lake Tahoe Unified School District are closed Thursday in anticipation of heavy snow.
► FORECAST DETAILS | Check out our hourly forecast and radar pages
► GET WEATHER ALERTS TO YOUR PHONE | Download the ABC10 mobile app
► WEATHER IN YOUR EMAIL | Sign up for our daily newsletter
ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW:
Watch more on ABC10: 2 storms aimed at Northern California with high impact travel issues | Winter Storm