That's the finding of an expert inspector hired by lawyers for wildfire victims who lost family members and homes. PG&E filed for bankruptcy last year because of $50 billion in claimed losses from wildfires in 2017 and 2018. The findings released Thursday by the attorneys come as PG&E tries to persuade California Gov. Gavin Newsom the company has turned over a new leaf.
PG&E says it re-inspected the power line after being alerted about the problems, but found no immediate safety issues. But the utility also acknowledged some equipment on the line still needs to be fixed. PG&E has told a judge that it inspected 50,000 transmission structures in high-risk areas since the fire.
RELATED PG&E CONTENT:
- PG&E pushback: New California bill would ban utilities from making political donations
- Judge to PG&E: 'What good are inspections that don't find problems?'
- New California bill could end PG&E's power monopoly
In 2018, a PG&E power line sparked the Camp Fire, killing 85 people, burning roughly 153,336 acres and destroying thousands of homes and businesses.
Soon after, in January 2019, the electric company filed for bankruptcy because it was facing at least $30 billion in potential damages from lawsuits. Along with the Camp Fire, the utility’s equipment is blamed for starting massive wildfires in Northern California in 2017 and 2018, killing more than 100 people.”
FOR THE LATEST WILDFIRE NEWS, DOWNLOAD THE ABC10 APP.
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for ABC10's Daily Blend Newsletter
PG&E: repeat problem may have sparked Camp Fire