SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Update 10 p.m.:
Police say the material found on 6th Street in downtown Sacramento is not hazardous.
At around 9:45 p.m. authorities said they would be clearing the scene soon and allowing evacuated residents to return home. So far, police have not said what the substance was.
Streets in downtown Sacramento have been shut down while police investigate a possible hazardous material, Thursday night.
Officers were first called out to the 1900 block of 6th Street around 5 p.m. on a report of a suspicious device. The bomb squad was called in and the object was cleared, however, police say the substance is still considered to be possibly hazardous.
Authorities say, earlier in the investigation, three people had to be evacuated from their homes near the scene. No word yet if those people have been allowed to go back home.
Police have not said how long they estimate the roads to remain closed in the area.
This is a developing story.
WATCH ALSO: Addressing Sacramento's shelter crisis
Sacramento is walking a fine line between public safety and criminalizing homelessness, while also seeking a balance between quick fixes and long term solutions. Lilia Luciano lays out the details.