SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Sacramento Public Library is attempting to put the focus back on reading and learning by satisfying the hunger of children in Sacramento.
Starting with eight libraries, the Sacramento Public Library, in partnership with United Way, extended the healthy meals programs at the beginning of October. This new, healthy meals program expands upon the library's free meal program from the summer.
Christie Hamm, project manager of the free meal program, said the library wants to help children stay healthy while at the same time becoming better readers and learners.
"Meals after school can make the difference," Hamm said.
United Way said during the first two days, 183 children ate at a meal at the eligible libraries. United Way and the Sacramento Public library recognize families have a limited budget, and children need food everyday.
The library welcomes anyone under the age of 18 years to grab a meal. No child has to prove they are food insecure with the program.
The following libraries participating in the free meal program include:
- Arden-Dimick Library serves meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Belle Cooledge Library serves meals on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Del Paso Heights Library serves meals on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- North Highlands-Antelope Library serves meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- North Sacramento-Hagginwood Library serves meals on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Southgate Library serves meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Sylvan Oaks Library serves meals on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Walnut Grove Library serves meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
This program adds more locations to United Way's list of places children can go to get a free meal throughout the year.
Other meal sites:
- Arthur F. Turner Community Library
- Auburn Elementary Discovery Club
- Boys and Girls Club North Laguna
- Boys and Girls Club Sacramento Raley Teen Center
- Community Housing Opportunity Acai Meadows Apartments
- Community Housing Opportunity Washington Square Apartments
- College Track
- Mack Road Partnership
- Mosaic Garden at Taylor Terrace
- St. Patrick Academy
FREE ABC10 APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for ABC10's Daily Blend Newsletter