STOCKTON, Calif. — Police have arrested two men in connection to a shooting that left a teen dead and two men injured at a park in Stockton.
According to a Facebook post from the Stockton Police Department, 35-year-old Raymond Mendez was arrested for the shooting that happened just after 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 22. A second man, 37-year-old Gilbert Mendez, was also arrested as an accessory to the shooting.
Officers found the three men shot in a car near Sandman Park. The 17-year-old victim was pronounced dead at the scene, marking the 55th homicide within the city of Stockon this year.
The other two men, a 27-year-old in critical condition and a 21-year-old in stable condition remain at the hospital.
Police have not released the identity of the victim.
- Months-long gang investigation leads 23 arrests and nearly $20K in money, guns, drugs seized
- 17-year-old dead, 2 hospitalized as Stockton police investigate 55th homicide of 2020
- Community groups working to stop more youth violence in Sacramento during the holidays
- 15-year-old boy shot, killed in Stockton marks city's 54th homicide of 2020
- 18-year-old killed in Stockton Walmart parking lot marks the city's 53rd homicide
Stockton has a long history of bloodshed. More than 500 people have been killed in the city in the past decade, and at least a thousand more have been wounded by gunfire. In a community ravaged by gun violence, non-profits and cops work to stem the tide before the next body drops. Click here to watch on YouTube.