On Thursday, CNBC's Jabari Young reported that there has been a recent push by NBA team executives and player agents to cancel what's left of the 2019-20 season.
That didn't sit well with LeBron James.
Taking to Twitter just a couple of hours after Young's report was first published, the Los Angeles Lakers superstar said the report was "absolutely not true." Furthermore, James stated that he and the Lakers are ready to resume once it's safe to do so and that "nobody should be canceling anything."
In what was perhaps a reminder of his influence in the league, "King James" punctuated his post with a crown emoji.
On March 11, the NBA suspended its season after Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19). In the time since, players including Jazz All-Star Donovan Mitchell, Brooklyn Nets superstar Kevin Durant, Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart and members of the Lakers have reportedly tested positive for the virus.
As the league approaches two months without on-court action, team executives and agents have "questioned why the league continues to drag on what appears to be an inevitable cancellation of the season," according to Young. A league spokesperson told CNBC the league is still working on plans to resume.
As for James, the 4-time MVP has a vested interest in getting back on the court aside from his love for the game and salary. When the NBA shut down last month, the Lakers laid claim to the best record in the Western Conference at 49-14, as the 35-year-old James was making a late push into the MVP conversation.