CALIFORNIA, USA — A powerful storm roared ashore in Northern California, flooding highways, toppling trees and causing mudflows in areas burned bare by recent fires as forecasters predict record-breaking rainfall.
Drenching rain and strong winds accompanied the arrival of an atmospheric river — a long and wide plume of moisture pulled in from the Pacific Ocean that was predicted to move south over the next few days.
The weather service's Sacramento office warned of "potentially historic rain."
Links to follow:
Avalanche work on Highway 88
Caltrans says Highway 88 at Carson Spur was closed for avalanche control. There's no estimated time for reopening. Highway 4 at Ebbetts Pass, Highway 89 at Monitor Pass and Highway 108 at Sonora Pass are also closed due to inclement weather.
See below for traffic maps. For a regional live traffic map, click HERE.
Live Traffic Camera
View and click a red icon below to view the live traffic camera from Caltrans.
(This map can also be viewed in full HERE.)
Chain controls back in effect for Highway 50
Caltrans District 3 announced that chain controls were back up for Highway 50 from Meyers to Twin Bridges Monday afternoon. The announcement came a little more than an hour after dropping chain controls along Hwy 50 at Meyers just before 2:30 p.m.
Highway 50 Trouble Spots
Highway 50 reopened around 11:30 a.m., according to Caltrans. Chain controls are in effect from Meyers to Kyburz.
El Dorado Transit said it will not operate the Sacramento/ South Lake Tahoe connector route on Monday.
Interstate 80 problems in the Sierra
Westbound I-80 is only open to cars as of 8:45 a.m., the CHP said Monday morning.
Chain controls are in place from Truckee to Nyack in both directions.
Westbound tractor-semitractor trucks are being held at the Nevada state line. Eastbound tractor-semitractor trucks are being held at Applegate.
CHP announced chain controls Sunday night for Interstate 80 between Donner Lake Road to Kingvale in both directions. Trucks are minimum.
Highway 88 issues
Amador County State Highway 88 at Carson Spur recently closed for avalanche control. According to Caltrans District 10, there is no estimated time of reopening.
Motorists are also advised to use alternate routes.
Rocks on Highway 50 hold up traffic, delays along Highway 99,
Caltrans says flooding on both northbound and southbound Highway 99 is causing lane closures and big delays between 4th Avenue and Sutterville Road.
Caltrans also said traffic was being held on westbound Highway 50 at Echo Summit dur to rocks on the roadway. There's not estimated time for the road to reopen.
Officials said the boulders will need to be blasted to clear the roadway. One-way traffic control will be in effect for several hours as they clear the area.
Avoid these roads in Folsom
On Monday morning the Folsom Police Department posted on Facebook that multiple streets are closed due to flooding
- Folsom Boulevard between Parkshore Drive and Blue Ravine Road.
- Woodmere Road between Folsom Boulevard and Parkshore Drive
- Sibley Street between Levy Road and Blue Ravine Road
- Duchow Way between Rumsey Way and Coloma Street
Stormy weather floods roadways in San Joaquin County
In Stockton, a major traffic collision is on northbound Highway 99 south of Mariposa road, CHP said Monday morning. All northbound lanes south of Mariposa Road are closed and traffic is being diverted off to the Mariposa Road off-ramp.
On Sunday night, The San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office is asking people to avoid Lower Sacramento Road south of Woodson Road and areas around Colonial Heights due to roadway flooding.
The Stockton Police Department is asking people to avoid streets, intersections and underpasses in the area due to flooding.
- Wilson Way and Anderson Street
- Bianchi Road at El Dorado Street
- Hammer Lane at Tam O'Shanter Drive
- Hammer Lane at Lorraine Avenue
- March Lane at Fred Russo Drive
- March Lane at Holiday Drive
- Eight Mile at Trinity Parkway
- Trinity Parkway at Wal-Mart
- Pacific Avenue at Ben Holt Drive
- Davis Road at Thornton Road
- Pershing Avenue at Rosemarie Lane
- March Lane at Claremont Avenue (westbound)
- El Dorado Street at Harding Way
- Thornton Road at Hammer Lane
- Mendocino at Manchester
- Mendocino at Pershing Avenue
- Miner Avenue at Wilson Way
Flooding along Highway 99
Caltrans is alerting people to flooding incidents along southbound Highway 99 and westbound Highway 50, Sunday night. Officials are telling people to expect delays and avoid travel today if possible.
The flooding incidents are located along the following areas:
- Southbound Hwy 99 at Mack Road
- Highway 50 at East Bidwell on-ramp
- Southbound Highway 113 at County Road 102 in Yolo County
Avoid these roads in Solano County
Officials say various roadways are being impacted by a Northern California storm in Solano County. Flooding and slippery roads can be found in various areas.
The Solano County Sheriff's Office is calling for people to avoid the following areas:
- Mix Canyon Rd
- Gates Canyon Rd
- Meridian Rd/Elmira Rd
- North Bound Rd Vanden at Canon Rd
- Meridian Rd/ McCrory
- Meridian Rd/Hawkins Rd
- 113/Maine Prairie Rd
- Suisun Valley Rd and Williams Rd
- Mankas Corner/Ledgewood Rd
The Vacaville Police Department is also calling attention to localized flooding in these areas.
- PEABODY RD. between Beelard Dr. and Southwood Dr.
- NORTH VILLAGE DR. and CRESCENT PKWY.
- TULARE DR. at BEELARD DR. and BROOKDALE DR. (Kingsland, Gregory also affected)
- BROWN between BENNETT HILL DR. and ROCKY HILL RD.
- MARKHAM DR. near BROWN ST. (Parts of Woodcrest, San Leon and Alpine also affected)
Mudslides close portion of Highway 20 in Colusa County
Caltrans said a portion of Highway 20 is closed, Sunday night, in Colusa County due to a mudslide.
The closure stretches nearly three miles west of the Highway 16 junction. Highway 16 is also closed in Yolo and Colusa counties from the Highway 20 junction to about 6.3 miles east of the Highway 20 junction at Rumsey Canyon due to mudslides.